Guests staying at Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas can choose from a diverse range of activities in Bela Bela, Modimolle (formerly Nylstroom) and the surrounding areas of the Waterberg.
In Bela Bela and Modimolle
Elephants Springs is situated in the centre of Bela Bela, a bustling town with plenty of attractions including flea markets, restaurants, tea gardens and shops, as well as the brand new Bela-Mall which opened in October 2014.
• Enjoy delicious homemade farm culinary fare such as ginger beer, lemonade, freshly baked cakes and bread and jams at the various farm stalls / coffee shops in and around Bela Bela.
• Visit historical Sites in Bela Bela and Modimolle. These include graves of Christina Pretorius (wife of Voortrekker Andries Pretorius), Strydom House, the Concentration camp and the British Block House erected to protect the railway line during the Anglo-Boer war.
• Several Health and Beauty Spas in and around Bela Bela and Modimolle offer wonderfully indulgent pampering spa experiences.
• The Hydro (at Forever Resorts in Bela Bela) is famous for its therapeutic hot mineral springs. These geothermal springs gush from the Earth at a rate of 22 000 litres of water per hour with a temperature of 52°C. Here guests can relax with specialised beauty treatments including full body massages, pedicures, manicures and hydrotherapy.
• Located next door to the hotel is Hollywood Bets; South Africa’s premier betting brand, offering the public an upmarket ‘casino inspired’ environment where punters can bet in comfort and style, where they can enjoy quality food and a cold beer, and where attention to detail and top-class service is the order of the day.
Scenic and Outdoor adventures
Apart from the activities mentioned below, outdoor and adventure enthusiasts can also enjoy cable water skiing, quad biking, zip lining, clay target shooting, 4×4 trails, boating, hot air ballooning and archery in the Waterberg area.
• Walk or cycle in the Nylsvley Nature Reserve, situated in Africa’s largest inland floodplain. Open all year round during the day.
• Tee off for a game of golf at Koro Creek Golf Estate or visit one of the acclaimed signature golf courses designed by Ernie Els and Gary Player.
• Go mountain biking on 35km of farm roads at the 3,800ha Lindani game reserve, and then enjoy your own picnic in the reserve. Bookings essential.
• Learn bass fishing from an expert in a nearby dam in Bela Bela or enjoy the Waterberg on horseback as the first pioneers did many years ago.
• Get tactical. Skulls Paintball, situated 5 kilometers from Bela Bela, offers a fun physical activity that demands teamwork and strategy planning.
• Take a trail hike on a local game farm or enjoy an outdoor bush picnic.
• Take a game viewing drive at one of the local reserves and experience unspoilt Africa in an open vehicle.
• Pack a picnic and visit Doorndraai Dam Nature Reserve at the foot of the scenic Waterberg Mountains approximately 90 minutes’ drive away.
• Meet and interact with orphaned and injured wild animals at Sondela Wildlife Centre, open at specific times throughout the week. Pre-booking is essential.
• Experience an eco-drive, cultural tour and braai under African stars south of Bela Bela with Kwalata Culture and Wildlife Tours.
• Take a walking tour at Bambelela Wildlife Care Farm. During these two-hour guided wildlife walks, you’ll learn more about indigenous vervet monkeys.
• Watch crocodiles feeding at the Thaba Kwena Crocodile Farm.
• Savour an unforgettable nature experience at the De Wildt Shingwedzi Cheetah & Wildlife Breeding Project. The centre offers two-hour tours where visitors get the opportunity to see and learn more about cheetah, wild dogs, caracal, serval, African wildcat and vultures.
• Have a thrilling hands-on interaction with elephants. The Adventures with Elephants educational facility is located on a beautiful 300-hectare wildlife reserve 35 kilometres from Bela Bela off the R516. Learn more about these gentle giants from their friendly experienced handlers.
• View beautiful exotic birds, one of South Africa’s largest private primate collections as well as white lions, tigers and cheetahs at Mystic Monkeys and Feathers Wildlife Park near Rust de Winter.